Honeymoon Time, Part 2! My top picks for 2019 #wednesdaywisdom
This week I'm back with a dditional list of honeymoon destinations for couples who are ready to kick back and relax on their honeymoon. This list is for those couples who want the most strenuous thing that they tackle to be deciding if they're headed to the pool or the beach. Most of these destinations have a tropical feel, but there a few others as well!
I hope that one of them speaks to you and sets you off on planning a honeymoon full of relaxation and rest.
1. St. Lucia - This Caribbean location has been a honeymoon destination for a long time, and there's a good reason why. It offers many all-inclusive hotel options that take all of the guesswork out of your honeymoon and make it possible to sit back and relax, big time. St. Lucia is world famous for it's stunning moutain views, gorgeous blue waters, and soft sandy beaches. The services available at the resorts of St. Lucia are endless - from delicious dining, snorkeling, massages and spa treatments, you can plan all your activities ahead and put it in cruise control for the rest of your trip.
2. Rivera Maya, Mexico - Located along the Yucatan Peninsula, this region boasts stunning Caribbean beaches, lush jungles, and even some ancient sites to visit as well. This is also a destination that is full of amazing all-inclusive options. While this route isn't for everyone, it can be a fantastic value as the packages range for all budgets and offer add-ons and customizable options to make the trip your own.
3. Lake Como, Italy - Romantic Italian getaway, anyone? Lake Como is another location that has been popular with couples for quite a while, and with excellent reason. This amazong lakefront town situation in the northern Lake District of Italy and is surrounded by lush mountains. Lago di Como has been a favorite of movie stars, michelin-star chefs, and the location of luxury hotels for nearly a century. Travelers often arrive in the area via Milan and travel by train and check in to a plethora of hotels in a range of price points. This is a people-watching and boat-watching mecca, so go enjoy the amazing food and wine, incredible scenery, and take a stroll through the quaint town of Torno* to stumble across any number of historic sites and amazing Italian meals to be found.
4. Santa Barbara, California - This honeymoon destination is just a quick trip north from LA, but offers a slowers pace and plenty of sunshine. Santa Barbara lies only two hours north of Los Angeles, but feels a world away. You can arrive in town via the Surfliner, a train that runs up the Pacific coast offering incredible views without the famous LA traffic. Once there, you can ride your bike to plenty of local restaurants and breweries (plenty of bicycle rentals are available and bike ride free on the train). There's also an incredible pier, hiking trails, surfing lessons, wine tastings and tours, and did I mention the views? They're worth the trip.
5. Orkney, Scotland - Famous for its shipwrecks, Orkney, Scotland offers a totally different experience than any other destination on the list. Orkney is an archipelago and a history-lover's paradise. It holds Neolithic sites, sandstone cliffs, and even 12th century Viking wall paintings. This fairly remote port city offers travelers a slow, relaxed pace with cozy inns and cafés calling you to a glass of scotch and a good book. For a more active outing, travelers can kayak around the many shipwrecks near the islands, and even dive (though the waters are cold).
6. Turks and Caicos - Back to blue waters and white beaches. Turks and Caicos offers so many amazing opportunities to both explore and relax. Kick back and relax on the gorgeous Grace Bay, snorkel through Smith's Reef, hit up the Thursday night Fish Fry, kitesurf, check out the history of the area at Old Cheshire Hall. There is so much more to do, and this place has been descirbed as the "most romantic place in the world" by a few people. There is something so perfect about enjoying time with the person that you love on white sand beaches while you loungue in the sun while, perhaps, enjoying a beverage with a little umrealla in it. If this sounds like your idea of a good time, then Turks and Caicos is just the place for your honeymoon!
7. Hawaii, The Big Island - Who could compile a honeymoon list without a Hawaiian destination? The Big Island of Hawaii is a dream destination for a honeymooners with an easy-going vibe. The Big Island is home to a plethora of activities ranging from rainforest hikes to surf lessons to snorkeling to visiting Volcanoes National Park, horseback riding, golf, luaus, and so much more! Accomodations range from the ultra luxurious to minimalist and there's an option to fit any traveler's style.
I hope that this little list gets your travel bug going and sends you looking for a honeymoon destination that speaks to your personal travel style. There are SO many amazing honeymoon options out there and a good travel agent or company can help take care of all the details to simplify your planning. If you need any recommendations in that department, just let me know!
Happy planning and happy travels!
*adapted from Brides Magazine